Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mississippi Blues

So, I ran with my cousin, Shane, trying to get him a marathon under 5 hours. We failed. Good weather to start (upper 40's), saw 69 degrees on a readout towards the end. Cloud y first half of run, sun was out later but it wasn't oppressive.

First 16 miles were getting us in at 4:30, then Shane hit the wall. Slowed down a bit but still coming in at 4:40 through mile 19. Then the knee went. Finished in 5:31:15. I'm thinking it was a pretty good training run for a 50k.

This highlighted the importance (because I know something of Shane's training) of consistently getting the long runs in AND getting the total weekly mileage over 30 miles for at least the last 3 weeks before taper.

I have read some "hilly" comments about this race but I thought it was a nice course - some rolling hills to break the monotony and a course you could PR on if you train on this sort of terrain (which I do). I would recommend for that reason and for some decent swag.

2 comments:

  1. Take it easy on me would ya, na honey badger dont care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw your comment. This thing needs to alert me. Or maybe it is and I can't tell. I thought I was being nice. I didn't say anything about how much faster my wife is than you. :)

    ReplyDelete