Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday, 01-14-12

I was waiting for it to warm up. Wasn't going to happen. High supposedly in the 40's, but the biting wind was keeping that high seem an illusion.

Ran 7.4 yesterday. I wanted to run @31 miles in 24 hours in preparation for a 50k that I still haven't signed up for but I'm creeping towards. I didn't want to run 24 miles to get that total.

Went to the Swamp Rabbit Trail. I've run on it in different races but never stayed on it for any length of time. Felt pretty good the whole time (except my gut was a bit twisted from the meatball sub and milkshake I had last night - oops) but when I got to what I thought was 20 miles (ended up being 20.7, one day I'll get a garmin) in 3:09:46(9:09 pace), I stopped running.

Which is when I began a fast-walk/shuffle run that I have read is good to do when training for an ultra since, unless you are elite, you need to train to shuffle along. I probably should have shuffled along a bit faster but the top of my left foot was feeling sore and I'm still keeping an eye on that little pain. This section ended up being 3.5 miles in 49:14 (13:56 pace).

If you're a purist and think I should have counted all this distance together that would be 24.3 miles in 3:59 (9:50 pace). That's a total of 31.7 miles in 24 hours and you do the math for pace. Makes me fairly confident I can do the 50k in a respectful time for an old guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment